You're right.  I've just tested it without copying the file (just the
dir with the packages) and running "dnf system-upgrade download"
worked as expected -- it didn't download anything and just created the
file, making it possible to run "dnf system-upgrade reboot"
afterwards.  This is definitely the correct approach, thanks.