On Fri, 2016-05-27 at 15:10 -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> Running F23, mate desktop and compiz.
>
> Each time I login the three volume keys on my
> keyboard cause no action.  If I go into the
> program "/usr/bin/mate-keyboard-properties"
> either as a CLI or the System->Preferences menu
> and immediately exit the keys work as expected.

Going off from a related tangent from other suggestions, have a look at
your session preferences for startup programs - the ones that are
automatically fired off when you login (generally system things, rather
than applications that you've used).

On my older-than-yours installation using Mate, one of them is the MATE
Settings Daemon.  That sounds a prime candidate for your issue.  Check
that it is ticked.  Or even try the Windows toggle off-back-on-again
trick.

While you're in there, you may find a bunch of things that auto start
that you don't use.  You can switch them off for less things to wait for
when you log-in.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.