Tim:
>> a. Not that it's the DNS protocol, but a DNS server, that was
>> implicated.  DNS servers can keep access logs, too.

Joe Zeff:
> And, to be equally blunt, you were asserting that DNS servers could be
> used to set evercookies on your machine and I was refuting that claim.

Not I...  The information comes from someone else, originally.  I did
explain how, though.

> And even if they do keep logs, they won't do you much good unless you
> know exactly what IP address to search for, which won't be of any help
> if your target's on the road using various free WiFi hotspots, or
> sharing a connection (and IP) with several other people, such as in an
> office environment.  I won't say that you can't build up a profile of a
> specific person that way, but I doubt that cost effective in terms of
> targeting advertising.

The majority of users, at this point, will probably be using a fixed
device.  Either their PC at home, or their mobile phone, on their own
phone service provider.  Either stands a good chance of always having
the same IP, or some other way of fingerprinting them.

And considering just how widespread google is, for instance, you can go
to *almost* *any* website, and there'll be some google content
incorporated into it (virtually every website I looked at yesterday).
Just like doubleclick used to be.  Making it all the more easy to keep
tabs on you.

It's a trivial databasing exercise, if you're familiar with actual
relational databases, rather than flat spreadsheet barebones types of
databases that people use from day to day.

One database of DNS queries from one IP.
Another database of websearches from one IP.
Get the computer to join the dots for the overlapping records.

It's what databasing used to be about - what things in this set of
records co-relate to things in this other set of records (relational
databasing), as opposed to just pull up the single file on John Doe and
read his record (flat files).  Then carry on and do the same co-relation
exercise across some other records.

Since it's actually a trivial thing (co-relating records when you're the
world's biggest database), I say it would be cost effective, if you're
actually trying to drive sales from the advertising, rather than just
throw advertising at someone that's going to be ignored.  Particularly
when you're making the advertiser pay per advert, they want value for
their money, and want their adverts to go to likely customers.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Long ago I gave up on using Windows (TM) [Tantrum Machine], and I've
never regretted it.