I recently became aware that the default umask for Fedora is 022 when
it caused problems for me that I had a different umask. This seems like
an anachronism, a relic of a kinder, gentler time, when the computing
atmosphere was more collegiate.  Is it really appropriate that new
files be created for a user with permissions of rwxr-xr-x in today's
security atmosphere?

I set my umask to 077, so that no one can access anything.

I'm interested in other people's opinions, especially those arguing in
favor of continuing to have a umask of 022.  Am I overlooking something?