On 19Jun2017 13:17, stan <stanl-fedorau...@vfemail.net> wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 16:48:40 +0100
Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallag...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bear in mind that by default Fedora allocates each user to his own
private group. Presumably someone who intentionally shares group
membership is expected to understand the implications and adjust umask
if necessary.

Another good point.  It seems that my concerns about umask might be
misguided.

Dunno. I'm fairly private and like to end my umask in a 7 normally. Usually discussions revolve around the group bits.

Normally you wouldn't share membership of your personal group - this arranges that 027 (or the like) in your home directory is essentially private. Instead, one makes other groups for shared work.

For example, my partner and I have a group for "us"; both our personal accounts are in it (so it is a secondary group membership); we have a shared third account (for stuff to do with home and so on); its group has both our individual accounts as members, giving both of us read/write to it.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>