On Fri, 2017-06-30 at 18:35 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Uh, mount the USB stick somewhere and use something like:
>
>       ssh -i /path/to/usb/stick/name-of-your-identity-file user@host
>
> e.g.
>
>       mkdir ~/usbstick
>       mount /dev/sdb1 ~/usbstick
>       ssh -i ~/usbstick/my_id_rsa_file r...@somehost.tld
>
> I believe the identity file must still have the right permissions
> (0600
> or "rw-------" and that it's the identity file, NOT the public
> identity
> key file.

Thanks.  I'll give it another try.  It may be that I'm just not patient
enough.  A couple of years ago, I set up a surveillance camera or two
for a friend and wanted to make them sftp the images to a server. I
swear to God I could never get it to authenticate.  After about three
hours I threw up my hands and had it send encrypted files by email.
Which then meant I had to write a bunch of scripts to get them and put
them in the right place.  Not one of my more productive afternoons.

But, there was a limited amount of work I was willing to do so that a
neighbor could watch deer in her backyard on her cellphone...

billo