On 02/10/2018 09:16 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 10Feb2018 20:50, Robert Nichols <rnicholsnos...@comcast.net> wrote:
On 02/10/2018 12:31 PM, bruce wrote:
Hey...

Got it.. or think I do.. It appears the -I --ignore-times  attribute
will essentially force a redo of any/all files in the rsync...

Actually it will do the opposite. With the "-I" flag, rsync will ignore differences in modification times as a criterion for deciding whether the source and destination files are different, leaving just a comparison of file sizes as the determining factor.

No, that would be nuts. From the manual:

  -I, --ignore-times
    Normally rsync will skip any files that  are  already  the  same
    size  and  have  the  same  modification timestamp.  This option
    turns off this "quick check" behavior, causing all files  to  be
    updated.

It does jyst what bruce thought it did.

Not quite, it will still check the contents of the file and if they are the same, it won't transfer it.