Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 02/24/18 15:32, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   not sure why i never noticed this before, but even though updating
>> my fedora box keeps only the last three versions of the kernel, i have
>> a couple dozen /lib/modules directories each representing an older
>> version of the kernel going back to 4.11.12, and when i examine all
>> those old directories, they contain nothing but:
>>
>> 4.11.12-200.fc25.x86_64
>> │   └── misc
>> │       ├── vboxdrv.ko
>> │       ├── vboxnetadp.ko
>> │       ├── vboxnetflt.ko
>> │       └── vboxpci.ko
>>
>> ... etc etc ...
>>
>>   i'm sure i'm safe to manually remove all those older /lib/modules,
>> but should i be surprised that they're even there? is there something
>> i can configure about virtualbox to not have it lock those old
>> directories in place?
>
> Sounds more like the kernel removal process than anything related to
> virtualbox.

It depends on how the Virtualbox modules are installed.  If
they're via kmod/akmod packages, then when the corresponding
kernel is removed the kmod-vbox-${kernel_uname} package
should be removed, removing the files it installed.

I suspect that the vbox modules weren't installed via an rpm
package -- or if they were, those packages lack a proper
requirement on the kernel version they're built for, which
leaves this cruft.

Running:

  $ rpm -qf /lib/modules/4.11.12-200.fc25.x86_64/misc/vboxdrv.ko

would be useful in determining whether they're owned by any
package.  We know they don't come from the kernel rpm, so
it's not it's job to clean them up (and it would be wrong if
it did, of course).

--
Todd
A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into