On 02/25/18 02:51, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   i honestly don't recall how they came to be there, but i rarely
>> install anything on my fedora system *not* via an actual .rpm package.
> I don't know how Virtualbox works, but perhaps some version
> in the past installed via rpm and then helpfully compiled
> modules for updated kernels and installed those directly --
> as opposed to how akmods work by generating a kmod package
> and installing that?

If one installs VirtualBox packaged by rpmfusion then you get akmod-VirtualBox.
Other than that, I'm not familiar with the rpmfusion process since I don't use
rpmfusion for VBox.

I use VirtualBox directly from Oracle.  In that case the drivers are built as
needed
by the vboxdrv.service.  I don't know about placement of the drivers in the
rpmfusion
case, but in the Oracle case they get installed in /lib/modules//`uname
-r`/misc.
This directory does not exist on a kernel that doesn't have VirtualBox
installed.

Prior to systemd, I'm pretty sure VirtualBox also used init scripts to determine
if/when the modules needed to be built for a running kernel.

In the recent past I use to get warning messages when running "dnf update" and
a new
kernel was being installed and directories/files were being left undeleted.  At
some
point, probably with a new version of dnf, I stopped getting the
messages....but I
got so used to them I really didn't take notice.

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out