On 02/25/18 09:57, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 24/2/18 11:12 pm, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 02/24/18 12:43, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> Thanks Ed. Is there any documentation anywhere on what each bit represents?
>> You mean other than the URL I've supplied at kernel.org and the comments
>> within
>> tainted.c ?
> I haven't seen tainted.c as yet so I'm not sure what it has commented, but
> the info
> in the url indicates that bit 1 can have two reasons for being set, so my
> query is
> more around if a bit that has multiple reasons is set, how does one determine
> which
> of those reasons is causing it to be set.

The number 1 is a list number in the kernel.org URL I've supplied.

As I've repeatedly said, the "BIT" is the number in the list "MINUS" one.  So,
BIT 0
is concerned with the GPL License status.  Yes there is an "OR" condition but
the
situation is still the SAME.  There is a problem with the LICENSE of a module
which
is deemed a "TAINT".  Not complicated.

As for tainted.c, I sent you the URL for that file/program that you need to
compile
and run according to the directions in the file.  I'm surprised that with your
being
so concerned about what taints your kernel you've not looked at the file, not
compiled, and I guess not run the program?

https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/a6HyoXLvYCMpjKeym-S~wg

is tainted.c.

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out