On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 07:16:31AM -0700, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 04/23/2018 10:28 AM, home user via users wrote:
> >I'm having to replace my 5-year old  desktop printer.  Like any good
> >project, I start with requirements!
> >1. desktop printer.
> >2. the manufacturer provides real support for the printer running on Fedora
> >as well as windows-7.
> >3. has printing, scanning, and copying.
> >4. color and black-and-white, colors are correct when printing from Fedora
> >as well as when from windows-7.
> >5. at least 600 dpi.
> >6. USB cable connection (not ethernet or wi-fi) between printer and
> >workstation's tower.
> >7. either laser or LED, not ink-jet (I'm in a very low-humidity climate).
> >I am especially concerned with requirement #1, and that's why I'm asking
> >this list.  What fulfils all the above requirements?
> >
> >Support needs to be more than simply providing a driver for me to download.
> >The at least 600 DPI has to be real, not merely "effective", "simulated",
> >etc.  My now dead printer, a Xerox Workcentre 6015, claimed either 1200x1200
> >or 1200x2400 resolution, but I only got 600 real dots per inch, both in
> >windows-7 and in Fedora.  When printing from Fedora, colors were not even
> >close, but were ok when printing from windows-7.
> >
> >Which is better overall: laser or LED?
> >
> >Thank-you for your advice.
> >Bill.
>

> Hi Bill,
>
> For printing support, if the manufacturer doesn't support
> Linux, check for a supporting ppd file at CUPS (Common
> Unix Printing System) ppd's website:
>      http://openprinting.org/printers
>
> For scanning, check out SANE's (Common Unix Scanning System
> [cuss]) list of supported scanners:
>      http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
>
> To configure saned for network printing, I wrote a How To
> which Qoppa (PDF Studio) published for me:
>
> https://kbpdfstudio.qoppa.com/ho
w-to-set-up-your-scanner-to-work-with-sane-and-pdf-studio-under-fedora-27-linuxs-systemd/

> My three favorite scanning tools are Simple Scan, xsane, and
> PDF Studio.
>
> HTH,
> -T

For what it's worth to you, Brother printers work really well on Linux.
I've got a Brother DCP7065DN at home, and having installed the Brother
drivers on my Centos-7 box, I can print or scan easily.

I admit, I have it connected to the network because its much easier than
dealing with sharing on both the host and clients, but I expect you could
so a USB onnection and share it if other systems need it.

like the poster above, I find that simplescan works, as well as the
scanner app in Sane (xsane).

One thing,, if you go with a Brother multifunction unit, be sure to
download the driver insstaller, NOT the individual driver files. You
may have to dig around to find the right file, but it exists and
works once you find it.

good luck!

Fred
--