On 7/5/18 7:42 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 05/07/18 05:34, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 20/4/18 12:46 am, digimer wrote:
On 2018-04-19 10:36 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
Once you select the user to log in as there's a dropdown menu (I forget what
it's
called I'm at work) that lets you select your session type (Gnome/Wayland or
Gnome/Xorg) or whatever desktop managers you have installed.

Richard
That only shows "Gnome" or "Gnome Classic" on my system. Using a pretty stock
Fedora install, though it's been upgrade from two or three previous releases to
F27.

digimer

I now use kdm as my display manager, gdm had issues with wayland, and it shows
me 3
gnome options (I did have one of these removed by disabling wayland as
specified in
a previous thread, but a subsequent update seems to have put it back again),
which
indicate that in your case you potentially are using wayland and not Xorg. The 3
options I have are "Gnome", "Gnome Classic" and "Gnome on Xorg", of which the
first
is wayland. I disabled wayland originally because it had huge performance issues
with gdm and gnome. I am using kde as it still only runs under Xorg, there is no
implementation for Wayland yet.

You are incorrect about KDE not supporting wayland.  It isn't the default and it
isn't installed by default but you can get wayland support in KDE by installing
"plasma-workspace-wayland".  I've not tried it recently, but when I did I had a
sluggish system.

Thanks Ed, when I had the performance issues with Gdm and Gnome in Wayland, and I queried why Gnome had them but KDE didn't, and why I didn't have the same menu entries for KDE that are provided for Gnome, I was told that Wayland had only been implemented for Gnome.

regards,

Steve