On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 06:44:51PM -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:

[ ... ]

> I copy the data to the device in a terminal, it takes perhaps 30 seconds,
> when finished I close that to make the flash drive free and then go to the
> desktop, click on the unmount and this last time waited ~125 seconds for it
> to unmount before disconnecting the usb flash drive. Perhaps that is clearer

Seems familiar to me: On Gnome (and probably on other WM's, too?)I had
these issues too, at times, IIRC: I tried to umount a USB key, and a
Gnome message told me to wait a little, as the device was busy or so -
after waiting a while I got the green light from Gnome to remove the
device .. seems a hardware thing to me (slow USB? ...)

Cannot verify the issue now: not on Gnome, currently ...

Regards
Wolfgang