On 07/20/2018 03:35 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 07/16/2018 05:37 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> Thanks.  In F28 that is:  /etc/dnf/dnf.conf
>>>
>>> Upped mine to 5 for now.
>>
>> Ditto, though it would be nice to be able to mark a specific kernel as
>> non-removable, rather than just relying on the window not overflowing.
>
> As long as you are using the kernel you want to keep at the time you
> upgrade, it will not get removed.  The next oldest one will be removed
> instead.  Or you could just manually remove one of the other ones.

Supposedly, you could do something like:

        echo "kernel-4.17.3-200" >/etc/dnf/protected.d/kernel.conf

That's supposed to make sure dnf doesn't remove that package. Note that
the "kernel" package is really a meta package that includes the
kernel-core, kernel-modules and whatnot. I've never relied on this
bit of dnf magic, but it's supposed to work.

I just tested it on a VM by "protecting" an old kernel and it seemed to
work (that kernel wasn't removed, even though it was old). Your mileage
may vary.