> Last ditch left-field idea: I have a (commercial) VPN service which is
> not normally turned on but does have a systemd daemon running. I turned
> it off and everything started working.
>
> I am now looking at 3 Fedora guests and a Windows guest all connected
> and even able to ping each other.
>
> I think the VPN daemon was messing with the firewall. I'll have to see
> what to do about that but for now, it looks like this was the culprit
> all along. Who knew?
>
> Apologies for wasting everyone's time, but maybe there's a lesson here
> somewhere ...

Well, it would be good to....

Stop firewalld, dump the IPTables, start the VPN daemon, wait a bit, and dump
the IPTables
again.

Also, it would be helpful to actually name the commercial VPN which may warn
others about
the pitfall.

But, it is good to know it is fixed.  And yes, the lesson is "list things
you've installed
that aren't part of the normal distribution".

The other thing that I'd question would be: If you'd made no changes why then
did the
problem arise?  Did a change in some Fedora component become "incompatible"
with the VPN
daemon?

--
Right: I dislike the default color scheme Wrong: What idiot picked the default
color scheme