On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 12:16 PM Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Of course your case may be completely different, but it's worth
> > > checking your firewall settings just in case.
> >
> > I do not think the shared folder function of VirtualBox uses the network.
>
> I think you're right (I wonder if this is a potential attack vector?).
> It's been a while since I've used VB. Libvirt has something called
> filesystem passthrough which I've never been able to figure out, so I
> just use NFS or Samba.

Thanks for your answers, Patrick and Ed. I am now suspecting that the
cause the problem is not VirtualBox, but Windows 7, since there are
plenty of complaints on the Internet regarding file explorer
freezing...

In my case, inside Windows, the shared file is identified as a

Network drive.

Paul