On Sun, 06 Oct 2019 18:05:02 +0200
alcir...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-10-06 at 10:46 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > Upgraded server from Fedora 30 to 31 (updated to present), and ssh
> > into
> > that server works fine as normal user, but no longer lets me login
> > as root.  I can login as root from the server machine itself, and
> > can login via su - but just cant' from ssh.
> >
> > Any ideas what changed or got replaced so revert it back?
>
> It could it be related to this change:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/31/ChangeSet#Disable_Root_Password_Login_in_SSH

As a side question --- I remember that this was the default for
upstream OpenSSH since 2015, but was not adopted in Fedora because
people who install Fedora on headless machines (or remotely) would have
no other way of logging in after initial installation. So why the change
of heart now, what happened to the headless login issue?

Best, :-)
Marko