*Thank you for your answers which provided me with useful basics on how
Linux establishes DNS.*

*However, even reading other documentation, I am still not clear what
mechanisms for which a computer becomes accessible in the LAN through its
name:*

*There are two important files: etc / hosts, etc / hostname and a system
service <namectl> which are used to manage this problem, but it is not
clear to me how (mechanism) they work, collaborate and interact.*

*There is another aspect of the DSN that I would like to understand better:*

*The DNS is defined and presented to an unsuspecting reader (also in the
Fedora manuals) as a telephone directory which provides the telephone
number of each subscriber to a hypothetical phone company OK.*

*It is said that this telephone directory is modeled as a tree structure at
the top of which we find the domains .com, .org, gov, .fr, it, etc. and
works as a centralized server of the network that supplies the numbers in
correspondence of names … **OK, OK….*

*This type of solution applies to large computer networks of course.*

*But since this clarification is not explicitly highlighted it can be
confusing to a reader who reads the manual for the first time **in what
context DNS is applied**...:*

*Another is to get the name of a computer in a LAN and other is to create a
DNS server .. and context difference (and the different solutions) is not
highlighted in the manuals ...:*

*It was difficult for me and I am still personally bewildered to
distinguish which two different contexts may be ...*

*That is to say ... when to simply use the Linux kernel service and when it
can be useful to create a DNS server implemented via BIND.*

*Thand you*

*Angelo*