On 10/12/19 7:25 AM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
/Thank you for your answers which provided me with useful basics on how Linux establishes DNS./

/However, even reading other documentation, I am still not clear what mechanisms for which a computer becomes accessible in the LAN through its name:/

Details at the end.

/There are two important files: etc / hosts, etc / hostname and a system service <namectl> which are used to manage this problem, but it is not clear to me how (mechanism) they work, collaborate and interact./

"/etc/hosts" contains a manual mapping of names to IP addresses. It is only useful in very limited cases. I use it to block a lot of ads by mapping the ad server names to my localhost. But I've also used it for accessing remote sites that don't have a real DNS name. "hostname" is just a little utility to print out what the name the computer has been assigned. "hostnamectl" is a utility to set (and view) the current and permanent computer name.

/The DNS is defined and presented to an unsuspecting reader (also in the Fedora manuals) as a telephone directory which provides the telephone number of each subscriber to a hypothetical phone company OK./

/It is said that this telephone directory is modeled as a tree structure at the top of which we find the domains .com, .org, gov, .fr, it, etc. and works as a centralized server of the network that supplies the numbers in correspondence of names … //OK, OK…./

/This type of solution applies to large computer networks of course./

This is how the internet works. It's really a distributed directory. The .org, .fr, etc are managed by a top-level server and below that each group, company, or person manages their own part. It can also be used in an internal network no matter what size. I run freeipa which helps manage users and dns entries on my home network and at a school.

/But since this clarification is not explicitly highlighted it can be confusing to a reader who reads the manual for the first time //in what context DNS is applied//...:/

Unless you have a local override, DNS is what is used to resolve a network name.

/Another is to get the name of a computer in a LAN and other is to create a DNS server .. and context difference (and the different solutions) is not highlighted in the manuals ...:/

/It was difficult for me and I am still personally bewildered to distinguish which two different contexts may be .../

/That is to say ... when to simply use the Linux kernel service and when it can be useful to create a DNS server implemented via BIND./

You would only setup bind if you want to use a full domain setup on your local network. Most people have no need of this.