On 08Apr2020 14:54, Terry Barnaby <ter...@beam.ltd.uk> wrote:
Note this has happened a few times this year, (approx 1 in 64 x) so not related to DST changes anyway. Might be due to chrony clock resyncs I suppose but I think something stranger is going on here or something silly and obvious in what I am doing.

I will have a more detailed look at the system and my backup shell script and create a simple test cron job to see if it shows the same thing ...

How about sticking:

 echo "`date` [`date -u`]: start $0 $*" >>some_log_file

at the start. Makes sure the job is actually starting at the cron time. Might tell you more about the system time situation.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>