On Sat, 2020-05-02 at 16:54 -0400, William Oliver wrote:
> On Sat, 2020-05-02 at 17:48 -0300, George N. White III wrote:On Sat,
> 2 May 2020 at 15:08, William Oliver <ven...@billoblog.com> wrote:
> > > I am running Fedora 31 on an HP Envy 17t laptop with a NVIDIA
> > > MX250 gpu.   I have installed the NVIDIA driver downloaded from
> > > NVIDA, and it seems to have installed just fine.  I have
> > > installed CUDA, as far as I can tell.
> > >

> > > I am trying to use the GPU rendering capabilities of Blender, a
> > > 3D modeling package.  However, the package does not believe there
> > > is a CUDA compatible GPU installed.
> > >
> > > I *think* it's because I'm actually running the Intel VGA
> > > controller.
> >
> > Are you using an Intel driver?
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics discusses pros
> > and cons of various drivers with Intel graphics.
> > There are firmware options that may affect "Optimus".  Blender
> > forums and the Nvidia Developer (registration required) sites are
> > more likely to be helpful, but you will need to translate
> > Debian/Ubuntu to Fedora.
>
> Well, Fedora installs the Intel driver as a matter of course.  I
> suppose I could try keeping the intel modules from loading into the
> kernel, though I don't know exactly which ones those are.  But I can
> look it up.  Maybe that will force things to the NVIDIA driver if it
> doesn't crash graphics altogether.  But I'm going to have to image
> the disk before I start doing that kind of stuff.

I don't have any setups with an Nvidia gpu at the moment but the last
timeI had anything to do with it (about a year ago) I had installed
Ubuntu onsomebody else's laptop with hybrid graphics and Ubuntu
standard offers toinstall the Nvidia driver (Deb/Ubuntu package).
Everything worked perfectlyand there was an Nvidia tool with a gui
installed so that you could tunethe settings AND "disable" the Intel
gpu (presumably to save power).(I do not know what this means exactly
given the possibly complicatednature of the hardware connections).Does
the RPMfusion Nvidia driver not come with such a tool.If it does you
might be able to tune the Nvidia to do the things (CUDA) you want.
AV