On 2020-05-08 12:43, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 5/7/20 9:30 PM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
>> On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 11:43:59 PM MST Tim via users wrote:
>>> During first boot of the installed system, you're given a chance to
>>> manually control network settings for the newly installed system.
>>
>> Odd, I don't think that's ever been the case before. I might be thinking of
>> RHEL/CentOS. I don't use DHCP, but I've never had to do any manual
>> configuration afterwards..
>
> If you don't create a user during the install, then there's a firstboot
> process that runs to let you create one.  I think the wifi config can be done
> at that point as well.  Ethernet is either automatic or whatever was set
> during the install.  I've never setup or changed anything, so I can't say
> which way it is.  (So I might have been wrong about the installer not setting
> the network config.)

The "issue" of setting up a network on a new install hasn't affected me at all.
 So, I've not committed to
memory the variations depending on the spin.  So, this may well be inaccurate.

Workstation Live Install - No options to configure the network or hostname.
The wired network
will be on and functional with DHCP.  Best know how to change hostname after
the install.

KDE Live Install - No optons to configure the network, but you can set a
hostname.  You can also set password
for root and configure a user with a UID and GID of your choice as well as
assign the user to the wheel
group.

Netinstall Everything - You can configure the network fully, including a Wifi
connection.  Not sure how
user creation is taken care of.  Haven't done this type of install in a while.
Something to do this afternoon?

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.