On 5/8/20 12:04 AM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
On Thursday, May 7, 2020 10:27:29 PM MST Tim via users wrote:
In the absense of DHCP, there's autoconfig, where each device randomly
picks an IP out of the link-local 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255 range
of addresses, checks to see if it's not already use, then adopts it, or
cycles through picking another until it finds one that's free.

I've never seen that on any Linux distro. Is that what Workstation does? Do
you know why? I've always known that to be a Windows thing.

It's a standard, but I don't think NetworkManager will switch to it automatically. However, there is an option in the network settings to pick "link-local" which is that.