On 6/2/20 2:31 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 2/6/20 10:38 am, Samuel Sieb wrote:
I don't know the all the specific details, but this entry describes how to load the grub bootloader to start Fedora: "HD(1,GPT,5a166b43-c099-429b-9587-4cc29389e1cf,0x800,0x12c000)" identifies the hard drive and EFI partition to use. "File(\EFI\fedora\shimx64.efi)" gives the path to the executable file on that partition to load and run.
I understand this is the entry that is being booted from, but I don't understand why it is that entry rather than boot0003, which looks to be the vm disk partition, when I am running fedora within a vm. I don't understand how this relates to the segmented disk image that virtualbox is using for fedora, as it is not a physical partition as far as I am aware. Virtualbox may make it look like a partition but I'm not up on the internal workings of virtualbox.

Boot0003* UEFI VBOX HARDDISK VB86498f1a-4c6a0da4 PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0xd,0x0)/Sata(0,65535,0)N.....YM....R,Y.

That is the usual UEFI fallback entry to look for an EFI partition on the disk and try to load the default boot loader file which I believe is "/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI". On a Fedora install, it will create that file as well, but if you boot it you will see a message about fixing the boot entry because it assumes the Fedora entry didn't work.