On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 at 18:59, Sreyan Chakravarty <sreya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 4:06 AM George N. White III <gnw...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In general, the earlier the mitigations are applied, the harder it is to
>> exploit the bugs, and
>> some mitigations can only be applied at the BIOS level, so you need to
>> check your BIOS
>> vendor's updates and forums.
>>

> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Does anyone here use an HP laptop ?
>
> Specifically this model:
> https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04919819#AbT1

This mentions FreeDOS under "Software" at the bottom of the page.

> I have a very weird problem it seems. In my BIOS startup screen there
> seems to be no option like "Update BIOS".
>

> The particular model I am using HP only publishes exe files that can be
> used from within Windows via which the BIOS update can happen within the OS.
>
> They do not care about Linux. Hence my only option was to do the BIOS
> update from outside the OS. Now I can't find the option to update the BIOS
> from a USB.
>

> I have contacted HP via their Community forum but I doubt that I will get
> a response.
>
> In the meantime if anyone knows anything about this problem let me know,
> or what the best place would be to ask about this issue.

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629 suggests that you can
create a BIOS update USB drive
from a BIOS update .exe file using a different PC running Windows.  Some
.exe files run in freeDOS and generate a .bin file.  Some HP laptops have
"BIOS update from file" in the System Diagnostics (maybe press F2 while
booting) with the .bin file on a FAT format USB key.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/539120/how-to-perform-a-hp-bios-upgrade-with-only-ubuntu
has a number of examples for differnet HP models.

--
George N. White III