On 7/26/20 1:37 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
After wrestling all day with an ASUS Xonar SE card (with accompanying Googling), I now believe that this card cannot be made to work in Linux. Stereo output through the green line out port works fine, but SPDIF does not. "lspci" actually claims this thing is a USB controller, although as I mentioned stereo sound does work.

More details about what "doesn't work" means would be helpful. Do you see a SPDIF option in the sound output settings?

One frustrating thing about trying to search for information online is that I come up with a lot of stuff that is way too old to be useful. For instance, a lot of the advice articles I found on getting sound working mention 4Front and OSS sound drivers, which is probably 15-20 year old information. I'm looking for  first hand "yes I know this card works", or at least a pointer to something that isn't Ubuntu specific and is recent enough to be useful.

That is really old information. Probably the reason it's hard to find anything more recent is because generally it all just works.