On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 11:32 PM Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:

> > mythtv@seveneves ~]$ amixer -c0 scontrols
> > Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
> > Simple mixer control 'PCM Capture Source',0
> > Simple mixer control 'PCM',1
> > Simple mixer control 'PCM',2
>
> Maybe I should have asked for the more verbose option.  It's probably
> one of these.

mythtv@seveneves ~]$ amixer -c0 controls
numid=10,iface=CARD,name='Clock Source 21 Validity'
numid=15,iface=CARD,name='Clock Source 22 Validity'
numid=18,iface=CARD,name='Clock Source 23 Validity'
numid=30,iface=CARD,name='Clock Source 24 Validity'
numid=35,iface=CARD,name='Clock Source 25 Validity'
numid=16,iface=CARD,name='Headphone - Output Jack'
numid=19,iface=CARD,name='IEC958 In - Output Jack'
numid=36,iface=CARD,name='Keep Interface'
numid=24,iface=CARD,name='Line - Input Jack'
numid=20,iface=CARD,name='Mic - Input Jack'
numid=31,iface=CARD,name='Mic - Input Jack',index=1
numid=11,iface=CARD,name='Speaker - Output Jack'
numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Switch'
numid=12,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Switch',index=1
numid=17,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Switch',index=2
numid=8,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Volume'
numid=13,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Volume',index=1
numid=29,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Capture Source'
numid=27,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Capture Switch'
numid=28,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Capture Volume'
numid=25,iface=MIXER,name='Line Capture Switch'
numid=26,iface=MIXER,name='Line Capture Volume'
numid=21,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Switch'
numid=32,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Switch',index=1
numid=22,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Volume'
numid=33,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Volume',index=1
numid=23,iface=MIXER,name='Auto Gain Control'
numid=34,iface=MIXER,name='Auto Gain Control',index=1
numid=9,iface=MIXER,name='Input Gain Pad Control'
numid=14,iface=MIXER,name='Input Gain Pad Control',index=1
numid=5,iface=PCM,name='Capture Channel Map'
numid=1,iface=PCM,name='Playback Channel Map'
numid=6,iface=PCM,name='Capture Channel Map',device=1
numid=2,iface=PCM,name='Playback Channel Map',device=1
numid=3,iface=PCM,name='Playback Channel Map',device=2
numid=4,iface=PCM,name='Playback Channel Map',device=3

I wanted to use "cset ... unmute", because the iec958 device seems to be
muted by default sometimes, but I couldn't figure out how to specify that
control. The amixer man page says:

 cset <CONTROL> <PARAMETER> ...
              Sets  the card control contents. The identifier has these
compo‐
              nents: iface, name, index, device, subdevice,  numid.  The
 next
              argument specifies the value of control.

...but I couldn't figure out correct values for all these components. My
attempts always got:

[mythtv@seveneves ~]$ amixer cset numid=19,iface=CARD,name='IEC958 In -
Output Jack' unmute
amixer: Cannot find the given element from control default

 > $ aplay -D iec958:CARD=SoundCard,DEV=0
>
> Add "-vv" or "-vvv" to the command to be able to tell if it's actually
> sending something.  Also, try this command with "DEV=1" as well.

Using DEV=1, I get:

 [mythtv@seveneves ~]$ aplay -vv -D iec958:CARD=SoundCard,DEV=1
/pub/flac/music/rock/CDs/Country_Joe/CollectedCountryJoe/CCJatFT05.wav
aplay: main:830: audio open error: No such file or directory

Using -vv on the DEV=0 version does show the "meter" with the pound signs
bouncing up and down, so it thinks it's sending something. But the optical
cable is not lit. I did check the obvious and the stupid, and it does
appear to be fully seated into the card. While I was at it, I also tried
using a different optical cable that I know is good, but still no sound.

If you
> still don't hear anything, then run alsamixer and turn up all of those
> PCM outputs and try both of them again.

Turning them all up in alsamixer was the first thing I tried. They are all
maxed out.

> It's strange that pulseaudio and ALSA know about the digital output, but
> you can't select it.

That is not an encouraging sign, but I have learned more about how this
stuff works from this conversation than I ever knew before, so there is a
lot I don't know.

> Something that I should have asked earlier though
> is whether or not the optical cable is lit up.

Funny, I thought of this as I was going to sleep last night. I guess it's
evidence that I spent too much time on this yesterday and got too
frustrated; my brain was not working very well. I should have thought of
that much earlier.

--Greg