On 10/22/20 7:51 AM, Tim via users wrote:
I'd always understood that any drive you were dd'ing to should be
unmounted.  You wouldn't want another thing to try and write to it as
well.  However, has anyone else encountered this behaviour:

You plug in your spare flashdrive.  You look for its device name (e.g.
you "dmesg|tail"), and you (correctly) determine it's /dev/sde (for
example).  You notice that the device appears to be mounted, even
though you've not mounted it, and you've (previously) configured your
computer not to auto-mount flashdrives.  So, you unmount that device.
And, now, /dev/sde is not available to "dd" anything to.

I don't think I've had that happen with "umount", but "eject" will definitely do that.