dracut/initramfs only needs to be updated if the hardware is needed
for boot pre-pivot root (ie to find rootfs, or if you use root on nfs
then you need network in initrd).

If in your m.2 case you were booting from it then extra drivers would
need to be loaded such that the initramfs can find rootfs.

Any pci cards and/or usb devices when the device is seen something
will check the modules.dep file and look whatever module claims to
support it.

Usb devices load in a similar way.