On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 11:37 AM Anthony F McInerney <afm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 at 16:20, Richard Shaw <hobbes1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've had my HP ENVY Photo 7800 series printer working fine for some time
>> and then I got stupid.
>>
>> While looking for a BIOS update for my HP ENVY laptop I noticed there was
>> a new firmware for my printer and went ahead and installed it. Since then
>> I've been completely unable to print but I'm not sure 100% of it is the
>> printer's fault.
>>
>> When I try to add the printer in gnome settings after removing everything
>> I get very weird behavior.
>> First is say "Unable to add printer" or something to that effect, once I
>> click through that it says it needs additional drivers.
>> When I click Ok it takes me to hplip in Gnome Software which is ALREADY
>> INSTALLED.
>>
>> And then gnome-controler-center partially crashes and has to be closed
>> but not forced to quit.
>>
>> I've since moved on to trying to add the printer directly through the
>> CUPS web interface. It discoveres the printer via both ipps and dnsnd.
>> Sometimes it autodetects the printer type and other times I have to
>> manually select it.
>>
>> I've tried both driverless, hpcups, and hpijs without success, however, I
>> think that's because the driver is not the problem.
>>
>> The message I always get when trying to print anything, regardless of
>> connection method, is:
>> First:
>> "Processing page 1..."
>>
>> And then:
>> "Unable to locate printer "HP9C7BEF8B3751.local"."
>>
>> Well it could certainly locate it to install the printer but somehow it
>> can't find it afterwards?!?
>>
>> journalctl -u cups has been utterly useless.
>>
>> Avahi seems to be working as avahi-browse shows a bajillion entries for
>> the printer.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>

> How long ago was this? Ie have you fully powercycled the PC and the
> Printer since this all happened?

A couple of weeks ago.

Yup, tried all the basic stuff including turning off the firewall just long
enough to see if that was a problem.

> Have you checked back for another firmware update.
> Checked the status page on the printer itself. (EWS embedded web server)

Wasn't sure what port... I tried 80 and 8080 (found using avahi) but
neither responded. I still think the problem is on the linux side as I can
print from my phone just fine, which is what I had to do. Based on the name
of the printer it finds I'm pretty sure it's using the dnssd path.

I actually did finally get it working through direct IP address which was
discovered automatically, which is weird, because it didn't find it by IP
address during the previous 50 attempts. I guess that means I should
probably reserve the IP address in DHCP so it doesn't potentially change.

Thanks,
Richard