> Am 11.01.2021 um 19:24 schrieb Bill Oliver <ven...@billoblog.com>:
>
> So, I am setting up some forum software on a VPS server I have rented
> and would like to invite users to have access to the forum *and* an
> email account, but nothing else.
>
> I have dovecot set up, and make roundcube available as the web-based
> mail client.
>
> The only thing I know to do is to add them as a user, which basically
> gives them a shell, and I'm not enthusiastic about that.

I hope I do not misunderstand your requirements. You need not set up a system
user to allow mail usage. You just create all your mail users in dovecot
(/etc/dovecot/users) using doveadm and configure postfix to authenticate
against dovecot (virtual mailboxes in postfix speech). The mail ist stored at
e.g. /home/vmail/<domain>/<user> and everything is managed by dovecot (vmail
being the dovecot process owner).