On Thu, 2021-02-04 at 19:09 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> I would like to replace the background behind in my webcam video feed
> with an image. However, that is not possible, as it requires a “green
> screen”, which I do not have. So, my idea is to use a virtual camera
> with a background image chosen by me and feed that into Zoom. Is that
> possible on Fedora?

If I google around, apparently there are things that can do the green
screen effect with zoom without a *green* screen, though they may be
Windows/Mac.

The point of using green screens is to have a uniform colour behind you
that's very opposite of skin tone (blue or green being the most common,
though the BBC had used yellow too) and from anything that you're
wearing, that the keying device can detect as being background instead
of foreground.  You can research chromakey or CSO (colour separation
overlay) for more info about it.

It doesn't have to be a screen.  A suitably vivid colour bed sheet
stretched tight will do the job.  We've used fabric from a dressmakers,
and blue cardboard pinned to the wall.  But that's not always practical
to do at home, and with people in lockdown they can't go out and buy
things.

If you want to avoid the insides your home being shown on a webcam
meeting, your simplest option is to hold the meeting somewhere else in
your house that's less personal.  Such as sitting in a position so that
 your loungeroom curtains are the only things visible behind you.  I've
seen journos working from home park themselves in front of their big
screen TV and use that as the background.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.15.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 3 15:06:38 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.