On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 at 03:49, Francisco Tissera <audiogamer2...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good day everybody,
>

> I’m Francisco, and I’m a blind high school kid who just recently started
> using Fedora 33 Workstation, both for fun, and hopefully, with guidance
> from you guys, for actual day to day school work.
>
> I have a little bit of experience using Linux. I started with Ubuntu 3 or
> so months ago, almost immediately switched to Arch, to Debian, and now, I’m
> trying Fedora.
>
> As you can see, I switched a lot, cause all those distroes, eccept arch,
> somewhat, weren’t the distroes that were right for me, that’s the beauty of
> Linux I guess.
>
> Well anyways, everything went smoothly once I booted the iso on my macbook
> air, I just had to switch to Zorg so I could get the Anaconda installer
> talking.
>
> I managed to activate all four rpm fusion repoes, some copr once, install
> snap and enable flatpak, and all the initial stuff without a single problem.
>
> Now though, there is one problem, that I don’t like at all: being both a
> speach and braille user, I use Orca as my screen reader with Gnome, and
> BRLTTY, which you might have heard of.
>
> Now, this question is mostly for blind users that might be in here, but of
> course, everyone who has experience with this sort of thing can answer.
>
> I had to enable the bRLTTY daemon with systemctl enable brltty as sudo
> user, and that went fine.
>
> Problem is, even though BRLTTY starts up as it is supposed too, my Focus
> 40 with which I’m using the thing with, shows me “screen not in text mode”,
> which, I guess, means that something’s wrong.

My experience with a blind user was decades ago, but at that time the
available software did not support graphical
screens.  From https://github.com/brltty/brltty:

"BRLTTY is a background process (daemon) providing access to the Linux/Unix
console (when in text mode) for a blind person using a refreshable braille
display."

You may be used to switching to a console using <Ctrl+Alt F1>, but in
Fedora that gets you the GUI login like
<Ctrl+Alt F7> in other distros.  You can use <Ctrl+Alt F2> for a text
console.

I don’t know what though, and I can say that with the other distores it

--
George N. White III