On 4/16/21 8:51 PM, Tim via users wrote:
On Fri, 2021-04-16 at 11:27 -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
given a video file and an png file to output it fails on my system
also (and that is with selinux as permissive and as root, so it seems
to have many issues and is simply broken in most if not all use
cases), and I don't know that I have seen a video thumbnail in a
while in gthumb and similar tools.

The file browsers on Gnome/MATE haven't been able to create thumbnails
for video files on my computers in many years.  Nothing that I tried
made it work again, and I gave up long ago.

It was a handy feature being able to see some image inside of a
stupidly named video file, to work out which was which.

My experience is that sometimes I do get images from the video, and sometimes I just get a right-pointing arrow centered in an old-fashioned CRT TV screen. I haven't been able to discern a pattern as to when I get which. I do notice that the odds of getting pictures is better when the display is in grid mode rather than list mode.