On 6/21/21 4:52 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

PackageKit and dnf keep separate metadata in /var/cache and they
update periodically. PackageKit seems to do this on login, but I've
also noticed it trigger an update when I switch networks. And dnf is
on a timer. Either of them can use a lot of cpu, it just depends on
how much updating they need.

Well, this raises the question of just whether packagekit is something everyone needs in the first place. I manage my systems with dnf and have never once opened the Gnome software manager thingie. Googling around, I find:

https://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2019/02/14/packagekit-is-dead-long-live-well-something-else/

What's the benefit of letting packagekit chew up CPU here, even if I implement the limits Chris suggests?

--
Tim Evans                       |5 Chestnut Court
443-394-3864                    |Owings Mills, MD 21117