Tim via users writes:

On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 19:33 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> I also found that one when I was searching for a solution.
>
> We just need to find two more alternative ways of doing this. Then
> there's a good chance that at least one out of all the alternatives
> will work and it'll finally be Linux's year on the desktop.

Since user home directories ought to be completely private, a login
screen oughtn't to be able to read files within them.  And since

I suppose that my humor was too subtle, there.

creating a new user is a root/admin activity, it ought to be possible
to specify a user picture at the same time, and store it somewhere
outside of the user's homespace.  Changing it later on would be a
problem, though (requiring admin permissions, again - though if you
think of it, it still needs to be, you wouldn't want users in a work
environment putting up genitalia pictures for everyone to see).

Well, Fedora isn't used very often in a work environment. But presuming that profile pictures are intended to be user-selectable, the current mechanism, whatever it is, is very user hostile. Additionally, the user configuration on a newly-installed Fedora explicitly sets Icon=/home/<userid>/.face which is, at the very least, inaccessible by default. That's a bug.

Looking at another machine that wasn't a recent install, I see that it's different, and specifies Icon=/var/lib/AccountsService/icons/<userid>. Now, that's a different story. So, it sure looks to me like this is broken by default in the default F35 install. And it is unclear if there is any way to fix this in the UI, you'd have to go and manually edit it. That's not a good user experience.

In any case, as I mentioned, previously there was some kind of a tool – accessible either from the userid button in the panel, or via settings – that allowed you to choose an image file, interactively crop it, and set it as your profile picture. This tool appears to be gone.