On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 04:02:41PM -0000, Rogan Dawes wrote:
I don't believe that this is a TV issue (other than its behaviour on input loss
triggering the resulting behaviour on the laptop). This is because if I reboot
the laptop, the TV is quite happy to recognise it again, while disconnecting
and reconnecting the HDMI cable does not have the same effect.

I can perhaps look at interposing a breakout board on the HDMI cable, and using
a logic analyser on certain pins (i.e. those that carry the DDC protocol used
to enumerate the display modes supported by the connected display). That might
allow me to see that the laptop is or isn't recognising that the display is
connected and performing the DDC interrogation. But I imagine this would also
be possible by enabling verbose logging too, which would probably be a lot
easier in the short term.
End of included message <<<

I have a similar problem with a Dell 35 inch monitor.  If my desktop
is idle long enough and I have no screensaver, the screen goes blank.
Note, the computer does not go to suspend or hibernate ever.  After
a time, the blank monitor does not come back if I key press or mouse
move.  Yet I can here the computer has been stimulated.

Sometimes if I power cycle the monitor it comes back though most
often not.

Rebooting of course awakens the monitor.

Also, I've found if I ssh in remotely and log out my console
session, when the display manager presents its login screen,
the monitor awakens.

Jon

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jo...@jgcomp.com