> Am 26.01.2022 um 23:48 schrieb Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net>:
>
>  The DCHP server is the one that's supposed to be supplying the hostname.

Yes, indeed.  In my test setup here, I use dnsmasq (as libvirt plugin) and find
in /var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/virbr0.macs entries like:
  {
    "domain": "vm1",
    "macs": [
      "52:54:00:37:f5:03"
    ]
  }

And optionally I can define vor each name an IP address  (either in virsh
net-edit default or in default.addhost) that the DHCP picks up.

And in virbr0.status more detailed what is answered to the DHCP request:
  {
    "ip-address": "192.168.122.207",
    "mac-address": "52:54:00:e9:43:0c",
    "hostname": "vm2",
    "client-id": "01:52:54:00:e9:43:0c",
    "expiry-time": 1643242158
  }

But as soon as you make the hostname static on the client, you can configure in
dnsmasq as hostname what you like, the client does not change the hostname.

So, Thomas should check with dhclient -v (out of my head, maybe some more
parameters, there is also a dry-run, that doesn’t change configuration) what
his DHCP delivers.

And in any case better keep away from messing around with /etc/hostname.

Best
Peter