On Thu Apr14'22 12:22:14PM, Go Canes wrote:
> From: Go Canes <letsgonhlcan...@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:22:14 -0400
> To: Community support for Fedora users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: OT: laptop SSD(?) makes screeching sounds
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 11:26 AM Ranjan Maitra <mlmai...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > However, while writing this email in mutt (which involves some IO), the fan
> > ended running, and the screeching is back and continues on even though the
> > fan does not appear to be running.
>
> I know you indicated it is a SSD, but by any chance is it one of the
> older hybrid drives?  The ones that combine a spinning disk with a
> large non-volatile cache?

It is a SSD, here is the part number: 400-AVHW (512GB Solid State Drive) as per
the quote from almost four years ago.

> Is there a way you could record the sound and post it somewhere?
> People might have a better idea what is making the noise if they could
> hear it for themselves.

Cleaning the fan a bit with air, and then what I have done is to hook it to a
monitor and put it upside down (and lid closed with laptop screen turned off)
so that there is more air circulating has meant a remarkably quiet time.
Perhaps the cleaning also helped. Let us see.

Many thanks for your help!

Best wishes,
Ranjan