On 18/7/22 10:18, Mike Wright wrote:
On 7/17/22 16:26, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 18/7/22 04:41, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sun, 2022-07-17 at 19:14 +0200, francis.montag...@inria.fr wrote:
Hi.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 17:39:35 +0100 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Actually, according to systemd-system.conf(5), it looks like the
proper place to do this is with a file under
/usr/lib/systemd/system.conf.d, similar to the old rc.d init
files.
Presumably that will avoid the setting being overwritten by a new
install.
Well, that was a bust. Turns out that you do have to edit the
standard
file(s) to have any effect.
It works for me.

Did you specified the [Manager] tag in the drop-in file ?
Of course not. That would mean I had actually understood the manual.

Example:

## Weird: systemd seems to uses internally a ...USec name for that
systemctl show --property=DefaultTimeoutStopUSec
DefaultTimeoutStopUSec=1min 30s

mkdir /usr/lib/systemd/system.conf.d
echo -e '[Manager]\nDefaultTimeoutStopSec=5s' >
/usr/lib/systemd/system.conf.d/99-stop-fast.conf

systemctl daemon-reload

systemctl show --property=DefaultTimeoutStopUSec
DefaultTimeoutStopUSec=5s
I'll try it that, thanks.
Just a silly question on this, what shows this issue? I'm running KDE and the config files in /etc listed in a prior thread have the same settings for the timeout as listed, albeit every setting in those files are prefixed with a "#", does this mean they are all commented out or is the "#" required syntax, but I am not seeing the issue, or at least not like it randomly used to be.

Typically that means these are the default values.  Uncomment and change the value to customize it.
Thankyou, I wasn't sure if this used the reverse logic I've seen in other config files where if you removed the "#" the statement got ignored.

regards,
Steve