On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 19:14:09 +0200
francis.montag...@inria.fr wrote:

> Did you specified the [Manager] tag in the drop-in file ?
>
> Example:
>
> ## Weird: systemd seems to uses internally a ...USec name for that
> systemctl show --property=DefaultTimeoutStopUSec
> DefaultTimeoutStopUSec=1min 30s
>
> mkdir /usr/lib/systemd/system.conf.d
> echo -e '[Manager]\nDefaultTimeoutStopSec=5s' >
> /usr/lib/systemd/system.conf.d/99-stop-fast.conf
>
> systemctl daemon-reload
>
> systemctl show --property=DefaultTimeoutStopUSec
> DefaultTimeoutStopUSec=5s

I can confirm that this also works.  I copied /etc/systemd/system.conf
to the newly created directory, /usr/lib/systemd/system.conf.d with a
new name starting with 99, fixed the permissions and selinux context,
uncommented the appropriate entry, changed its value, and it is working
as if I changed it in /etc/systemd/system.conf and
/etc/systemd/user.conf.