On 18Jul2022 22:50, Peter Boy <p...@uni-bremen.de> wrote:
>> Am 18.07.2022 um 22:18 schrieb Peter Boy <p...@uni-bremen.de>:
>> I got it finally working.
>
>After some tests: It isn’t.
>
>The programs I have to start depend on the existence of some (virtual) network
>interfaces. rc.local is ordered after network.target, which doesn’t mean, the
>network is functional then. Therefore, the program start via rc.local is in
>indeterministic process. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes only for
>some.
>
>Documentation mentions a drop in at
>/etc/systemd/system/rc-local.service.d/network.conf. But there is no
>subdirectory  /etc/systemd/system/rc-local.service.d/
>
>Should I really mess around with vim and mkdir in the directories
>managed by the distribution? Seems like a bad idea to me.

Not to mention messy and annoying.

I've got a personal script called "await" which waits for a condition to
become true (by polling). If you can write a command which tests the
virtual interface (maybe "ping -c 3 -q virt-addr" or checking for a
route?) you could go:

    ( await virt-network-check-command-here
      start programs
    ) &

in your rc.local file. Simple and direct.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>