On 9/2/22 11:44, Ian Pilcher wrote:
I'm currently using an old ATI FirePro V4900 to run my 3 displays -
1x 2K and 2x 1920x1200.  I've been seeing glitches in some Gtk
applications for a while now (running on Plasma X11), and I'm getting
pretty tired of them.[1]  This card uses the old radeon driver, so I'm
thinking that it might be time to bite the bullet and move to something
a bit more modern.

I do not do any gaming.  I simply want to be able to run my preferred
desktop (Plasma) with compositing and a few effects turned on.

NVIDIA is out, because of the "just works" requirement, so I'm looking
at AMD options.  Is the RX550 a good choice for my use case?

Thanks!

[1] The glitch takes the form of the contents of new windows not being
    shown, only the frame.  It only seems to happen with Gtk apps,
    primarily Thunderbird.  I've tried futzing around with the Xorg
    acceleration settings, and I've been able to reduce but not
    eliminate the problem.

Hey, Ian! Good to see you, hope you're well!

Are you using DVI monitors? The RX550 will do what you need, but the WX 2100, 3100, or 3200 will all do three or more DisplayPort monitors if you're using DisplayPort, and use native drivers.

Thomas