On 9/2/22 11:44, Ian Pilcher wrote:
[1] The glitch takes the form of the contents of new windows not being
    shown, only the frame.  It only seems to happen with Gtk apps,
    primarily Thunderbird.  I've tried futzing around with the Xorg
    acceleration settings, and I've been able to reduce but not
    eliminate the problem.

I've been seeing some weird X glitches similar to this a lot lately, both on a corporate laptop that runs Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS with Intel video and also a Fedora 36 workstation running with NVidia drivers with a Geforce RTX 2080 Super. Same thing. Click on a Thunderbird message and I just see the outline of the message until I click on it or move the window a little.

I am not sure the issue you are seeing is 100% related to the video card or old driver. It's worse on the Ubuntu/Intel machine but I definitely also see it on the Fedora/NVidia machine with Thunderbird.

Thomas