On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:40:26 -0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <bearto...@comcast.net> wrote:

>       I run dnf clean all, followed by dnf upgrade, on all my
> machines, all on F36, daily. (I don't necessarily reboot, even if
> there's a kernel change. Should I?)

The dnf clean all isn't harmful, but it wastes time and bandwidth if
there are no problems.  It requires that you download the metadata for
all repositories every time.

If you don't reboot after a kernel is updated, you will be running the
currently running kernel until you do update.  That is, a kernel update
requires a reboot in order to run the new kernel.

>       Nevertheless, Firefox demands its own updates, including its
> own reboot, whensoever it damn pleases, and won't lift an electronic
> finger till it gets its way.
>
>       Does this make some esoteric sense that I don't see?
>
>       If not, how do I eliminate or take control of its irritating
> habit?

At some point you must have installed firefox outside of fedora, which
defaults to automatic updates.  You can fix this by going into
edit->settings->general  If you page down, near the bottom there will
be a setting to allow or disable automatic updates.