stan:
>> You can fix this by going into edit->settings->general  If you page
>> down, near the bottom there will be a setting to allow or disable
>> automatic updates.

Beartooth:
>         I tried that. Clicking on ">>" and scrolling got me to
> edit->settings->general (as did clicking on the equivalence sign,
> eventually), but I don't find the setting for automatic updates. Might it
> have been renamed?

My experience is that Firefox installed from Linux repos don't have a
tickbox to allow Firefox to update itself (if it did, it'd download a
version from Mozilla, not the repo).

You may find a section in its preferences which mentions updates, but
it's just descriptive text.  On my CentOS installation (the PC I'm
typing on now), it's on the general preferences section, very close to
the bottom, between the DRM content and performance section.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.76.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Aug 10 16:21:17 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.