Tim:
>> And I can confirm the same thing on my PC using Fedora 36 (which is
>> usually kept up to date every other day or so).

Beartooth:
>         So it isn't me. That's some slight consolation. But how do I know
> what repo it's getting all these mandatory instant updates from?

Are you sure it's Firefox, itself, that's updating?

If you have plugins and addons (two different things, apparently), and
there were some pre-supplied, which includes the search engines, they
can auto-update.  There used to be an obvious setting about auto-
updating plugins, but I can't find it right now.

NB:  You can look through about:config searching for auto, update,
apps, plugins, addons, and see if anything jumps out at you.

I think carefully about disabling auto-updates for such things, they
may be much-needed security updates, or bug repairs.  If there are
things you don't use or need, it might be better to see about removing
them, instead.

I also go into the privacy settings in the main configuration, and
untick the options regarding data collection:

Firefox Data Collection and Use

We strive to provide you with choices and collect only what we need to
provide and improve Firefox for everyone. We always ask permission
before receiving personal information.

Privacy Notice

o Allow Firefox to send technical and interaction data to Mozilla (Learn more)
o Allow Firefox to make personalized extension recommendations (Learn more)
o Allow Firefox to install and run studies (View Firefox studies)

I'm not sure about the next section about deceptive content protection.
It's been a long time since I looked into it properly.  And quickly
reading its info, it appears that you receive some kind of black list,
but that it can also double-check things by sending visiting site and
file info to a third party.  The wording on the "learn more" link is
all over the place.

I don't go installing stuff from websites, and reject anything that
pops up saying I need to, so I'm not that likely to shoot myself in the
foot.  I think the kinds of website that compromise you merely by
looking at them are probably going to find ways around it, too.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.76.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Aug 10 16:21:17 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.