On Tue, 2022-10-18 at 13:59 -0700, stan via users wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 19:37:57 +0300
> jarmo <oh1...@nic.fi> wrote:
>
> > Tue, 18 Oct 2022 08:36:56 -0700
> > stan via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> kirjoitti:
> >
> > > On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 15:45:19 +1030
> > > Tim via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Not the OP, but I do it so I can use dnf to update with the gui
> > > turned off.  When I want to run dnf, I just logout of X, and run
> > > it
> > > in a virtual console, and then start it as a user afterwards if I
> > > want it again.  A hack to accomplish most of what Gnome gets by
> > > always rebooting after an update.  The restart of X will usually
> > > reload any libraries that have been updated.  Doesn't work for
> > > the
> > > kernel, of course, that still requires a reboot.
> >
> > How about, when you are in X, just open konsole and typ there sudo
> > dnf
> > update ?
>
> That has the potential of updating libraries that X, or other
> applications, are using.  As Tim says, it is a rare occurrence, so
> I'm using belt and suspenders.

Those apps will continue to use the old libraries until they exit.
Aside from potentially taking up more RAM, I've never seen that cause
an issue. I just restart the app when convenient.

When this comes up in discussion, there's usually a comment that "this
isn't your old UNIX system and things are different now", and this is
why some GUI package updaters always want to reboot your system for
even small changes, but I haven't seen a satisfactory explanation of
just how it's different. I can imagine a situation in which two apps
are using different versions of some library which are somehow
incompatible with each other, e.g. because some intermediate data
format has changed, but AFAIK it's not a common situation.

poc