On Thu, Feb 2, 2023, at 5:53 AM, Tibor Attila Anca wrote:
> The most significant difference (for me) is the output of resolvectl. With
> Network-Manager vpn I get this in the section Global:
>
> Global
>        Protocols: LLMNR=resolve -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
> resolv.conf mode: stub
>
> With Cisco VPN this section looks like this:
>
> Global
>          Protocols: LLMNR=resolve -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
>   resolv.conf mode: foreign
> Current DNS Server: 192.168.3.133
>        DNS Servers: 192.168.3.33 192.168.3.133
>         DNS Domain: fritz.box ***-***.de
> The entry with the stars is the vpn Domain of my company.
>
> Could this be the relevant part?
>
> The strange thing is: if I terminate the vpn connection with the Cisco client
> and activete it through network-manager, the Global section gives me the DNS
> Domain of my company. But after a restart of the system the network-manager
> vpn does not make that entry/change on its own.

This article gives an overview of how systemd-resolved works with a VPN.
https://fedoramagazine.org/systemd-resolved-introduction-to-split-dns/

You might just need to manually add your company DNS and/or search domains to
the OpenConnect VPN network connection you created.  You can use
nm-connection-editor to configure the specific DNS and search domains for your
corporate network specifically just for the VPN network connection.  My
workplace uses two domains for internal resources but only one is provided via
the VPN DHCP I always need to manually tweak the settings when I set up the VPN.