On Sat, Jul 1, 2023 at 11:55 PM Norman Gaywood <ngayw...@une.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Installing x2goserver on the remote host (your workstation in the closet)
> and opening up sshd is how I do this.
> You install x2goclient on your own workstation to connect to the remote
> host.
>
> The good:
>    - connects over ssh
>    - Gives you a full desktop environment (for some desktop environments)
>    - multiple users are supported at the same time.
>    - Faster that remote X and RDP
>    - Supports XFCE4 desktops (with compositing disabled) and other
> lightweight desktops
>
> The bad:
>     - Does not support some modern desktops like GNOME
>     - Does not support some graphical features like GLX or compositing.
> But there are not many applications that actually use these features or it
> can be worked around.
>
> x2goserver/client is used a lot in various areas like HPC, remote
> teaching. You can run some pretty heavy graphical programs like
> Libreoffice, Intellij, vscode, matlab, firefox, google-chrome. Sound even
> works. Video, not so much. Video "works" for some things but it's very
> jerky.
>
> There is hope in the future, with support coming for more modern desktops,
> with the introduction of x2go-kdrive. There seems to be some recent life in
> the development of this, but it's not really here yet.

I work in remote sensing where color fidelity is important so you can see
subtle color features
in images.  Many of the remote desktop setups use a restricted color gamut
to reduce bandwidth,
so are not usable when color details are important.  Rstudio-server and
Jupyter provide web
servers, and have moved beyond their original language focus.  Both provide
remote terminals, Rstudio
does Python in notebooks, Jupyter supports R in notebooks.   There is no
requirement for a desktop
on the remote server.

Enterprise data centres are not happy with Xorg for security reasons.
Wayland remote desktop support
has not arrived yet.

--
George N. White III